Jamie (jamie_marie) wrote,

We're Home!

We got to come home from the hospital this afternoon. Brian is watching tv with Ezra, so I will try to write a rundown of the last few days before it all becomes to foggy. :)

At about 11:00 pm on Saturday night, I told Brian that I hadn't felt Ezra move in a long while. I payed close attention for about an hour and still didn't feel him. We went to bed at around midnight and I woke up at 4 am really anxious. I got up, ate a couple of sugary peeps and drank some cold water to try to get him moving, but I didn't get a single kick. By this time I had a really bad feeling, so I woke Brian up and we headed to the hospital to get checked out. We arrived at the labor and delivery ward and they hooked me up to a monitor. We heard Ezra's perfect heartbeat pounding away. I cried out of relief and made the nurse cry too. I was so happy, and we figured we would leave the hospital and go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. They decided to keep me for a little while to monitor the baby and eventually the doctor and nurse came in to speak with us.

Although Ezra seemed to be doing fine, they HIGHLY recommended that we stay and get induced. The reasons that they gave were:
-He was past due (by ONE day)
-I had a decrease in fetal movement
-They saw a couple of worrying decels on the monitor

I was really against getting induced and we felt like the hospital was suggesting it out of convenience. Of course we were scared though, because the doctor was giving us lines like, "He looks good now, I would just hate to have you come back in a few days and us not be able to find a heartbeat." In the end, we agreed to be induced. At 11:30 they started me on pitocin. I was hooked up to a blood pressure cuff, two electronic monitors, and the IV with the pitocin, so I was pretty strapped down. I did manage to get out of bed and sit on a birthing ball right next to all of the machines though.

I was on the pitocin for eight hours and progressed from 1 cm dilated to 3-4 cm dilated. At around 7:45 pm my water broke on its own. They then took me off the pitocin so that I could eat a couple bites of a sandwich and labor on my own. I got to be unplugged from everything... FREEDOM! Shortly after that Amara [my doula] came to be with us at the hospital. As soon as my water broke the contractions started getting really intense. I had to concentrate to breath and get through them. I spent some more time on the birthing ball and we walked the halls. I stalled at 4 cm for eight long hours. They told me I would have to be put back on pitocin. They strapped me back up to everything in bed, but for some reason, the pitocin was never turned back on. Once I got back in bed, I progressed quickly, and the contractions became REALLY hard to handle. I got whiny and discouraged. I began saying that I needed an epidural, but Brian and Amara were great about reminding me of my birth plan. Brian was so encouraging. I honestly didn't think I would get through it, but I tried to just concentrate on getting through one contraction at a time. I would then tell myself, "Okay, you can get through five more. Just five more!"

Transition was HELL. I went from breathing through the contractions to shrieking through them. At one point, I jumped out of bed with all of my wires and just clung to Brian. The noises coming out of my mouth were very primal. The contractions were right on top of each other, so I didn't get any relief in between them. Just a few minutes after the nurse checked me and said I was dilated to seven, I got the uncontrollable urge to push. I started yelling, "I need to PUUUUUUSH!!!!!" Amara ran and grabbed the doctor and nurse and they came running in telling me, "NO! You can't push. You're only 7 cm, it's not time." I remember thinking they were out of their mind if they thought I would comply. The doctor checked me and was shocked to realize that I was 10 cm and ready to go!

I pushed for 45 minutes. I started out shreiking through the pushes, but soon learned to shut up and conserve my energy. Pushing was painful, but it was SO much better than transition. Although the doctor applied counter pressure and massaged my perenium, I ended up with a 2nd degree tear. The pressure of him coming out was so great that I didn't even feel it. The moment that he came out was AMAZING. He came out pink and screaming. They immediately plopped him right on my belly and let me dry him off. His Apgar scores were 9 and 9. He was honestly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and I couldn't believe that this was the little alien living in my belly for nine months.

Breastfeeding has been a challenge. He is just so sleepy. I do everything I can to piss him off so that he'll wake up (I undress him, check his diaper, tickle his feet) but as soon as the boob goes in his mouth, he passes out. I expected it to be hard, but didn't realize how overwhelmed I would feel.

Anyway, for those that couldn't get through my birth novel, here are the basic facts...

-I was induced with Pitocin at 11:30 on Sunday morning.
-Being strapped in bed during transition SUCKED, but I survived without any pain medication.
-After 20 hours of labor, Ezra John made his grand debut.
-He weighed 8 lbs 4 oz and was 20 inches long.
-Breastfeeding is hard work.
-Being a mom is awesome.
-I'm exhausted but happy.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.